Skip to main content

First sub-edit from editor

I have written about this before but it's worth mentioning again. I feel like a fraud. And it's not just me. A niece recently shared a NY Times article  (https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/26/your-money/learning-to-deal-with-the-impostor-syndrome.html?_r=0) about this very topic and according to researchers, pretty much everybody feels this way at some point. They call it the 'Imposter Syndrome'. Famous writers have experienced it, a renowned marketing expert and even US presidents. The key is learning how to deal with this feeling. We can acknowledge it and cower, allowing it to stand in front of us like a club bouncer, denying us from moving forward, or we can recognize it, tell it, "You don't scare me!" ( even though it scares our pants off ) and push past it.
It makes me wonder how many people with amazing potential have been frightened off by it. How many wonderful creations, thrilling inventions or new strategies have never seen the light of day because this syndrome told someone they were no good.
The article does not address the risks of creation; the possibility of harsh criticism or abject failure. These are real and frightening in their own right and in our era of social media there are legions of people whose sole purpose in life seems to be to drag others down, ripping their art to shreds. I cannot fathom such a way of life but there is no doubt that they are there in the wings, waiting to crush those who are already valiantly fighting the imposter syndrome.
As the sub-edit arrived in my mailbox all the nerves came back. "Now they have seen that I can't really write and it will be full of changes and terrible comments, " said a voice in my head. It took a lot of willpower to open that document.
To my surprise there was nothing major to change and the editor made some really great suggestions. In that moment the syndrome shrunk from a big bouncer to a little mouse. Why do we put ourselves through such an emotional wringer? It is so mentally exhausting. Let's tell that naysaying voice to get lost!

Comments

  1. Very good article! We will be linking to this particularly great post on our website. Keep up the good writing.
    Subtitle Edit Crack
    Virtual Safe Professional Crack
    Azuon Crack
    Benvista PhotoZoom Pro Crack

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your all post. You have done really good work. Thank you for the information you provide, it helped me a lot. I hope to have many more entries or so from you.
    Very interesting blog.
    website-auto-traffic Crack
    azuon Crack

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bookclubs

I'm back from traveling to Europe and about to leave town again so I thought it was time to add a post to my blog. Since the release of my book I have been invited to share my thoughts at three book clubs with another planned for after Christmas and it is so much fun! I am loving the interaction with people who have read my book. We have had some great discussions about prejudices, adoption, nasty relatives and the writing process. In life, when we step out of our comfort zone and try new things it can go one of two ways; success or failure. But for me there has been additional path: it has been an unexpected delight to experience positive, unintended consequences such as meeting my readers. Little did I think when I was tapping away on my computer two years ago that the publication of my book would lead me to meet so many new friends. Comforts zones are safe places, which is why we like them, and not every new venture will end in success or great unintended consequences, but s

Judging a Book by its Cover

     Okay, confession time. How many of you choose a book just because you like the cover? Well, apparently a vast majority! A book's cover is the author's sales pitch to the reader. It must grab the potential buyer's attention and outshine the millions of other covers out there. No pressure!      I am also learning that there are many, subtle indicators, to readers of particular genres, about what they can expect to find inside a book. If your cover promises something that the reader does not actually find within its pages, you can lose a reader. The opposite is true too. If your cover does not suggest 'PG 13' rated content within, but the book contains it, you can offend your reader. Wow, it's a minefield!      Research of other covers in your particular genre is a very important place to begin.      I self-published my first book and created the cover myself. I was new to the industry and had no training. That was probably not a good idea and when I ever g

Trying a New Genre

Though I write Regency Romance (and children's historical fiction), my very favorite genre to read is the "Whodunnit", the classic murder mysteries of Agatha Christie fame. It was her books, in fact, that made me into a reader as a child. These mild mysteries, that have had a following since Ms. Christie's days, seem to have enjoyed a resurgence in popularity of late under the genre name of Cozy Mysteries. The thought came to me a few months ago, "Since you like them so much you should try writing one!" So I am. I have created a dynamic duo, to borrow a phrase, who snoop out clues and help the local Bobbies. They are rich, beautiful and from the upper classes - because for some reason that's often how we like our heroines to be. This book will not reflect the politically correct culture of our day, but will try to capture the essence of life in the 1920's, while solving a crime. I think it will be a lot of fun!